Friday, February 15, 2013

Caudabe "The Shell" iPad Case Review

When I picked up my lovely new iPad, I was overjoyed with its design. Everything from the glorious Retina display to the wafer thin case. I slapped a leather Smart Cover on it to protect the glass an took it out into the cold cruel world.

I loved the form of the iPad. Why would I want to cover it with anything?

After several days of use in the office, at home and out in the world I realized that the thin iPad has its drawback. It fit wonderfully in my messenger bag, but hours of extended use caused the corners to dig into the palms of my hands. I also noticed that every time I wanted to set my iPad down, I habitually checked the surface for dirt, grit and so on. When I picked it back up, I had to wipe off the pretty aluminum back.

Sounds pretty anal, right? Unfortunately, that is how I treat my electronics.

The simple solution would have been a super durable hard case. However, I did not really want to add that much bulk or cover the lovely Retina display with a piece of plastic. I wanted to keep things slick, light and I wanted to easily remove the case if warranted. Lastly, I didn't want to drop a ton of money on a tiny bit of added protection.

A quick skip through the Amazon marketplace and I found the Caudabe "The Shell". "The Shell" is a thin, flexible plastic cover that snaps onto the back of the iPad. It takes mere seconds to install and leaves you with a good deal of scratch protection. It adds approximately a millimeter of thickness overall but really serves to "soften" the radius of the corners. This makes for a much more enjoyable experience when holding the iPad for hours while reading your favorite blog or eBook.

I selected the "Frost Clear" color. This nicely compliments the silver of the iPad and allows the black Apple inlay to show through. The texture is almost rubbery feeling, which aids in gripping the iPad. It gives me a little more confidence when carrying it around.

I do not expect the Caudabe "The Shell" to provide any impact protection, but that was not the main concern. I simple wanted a softer feel when holding the iPad for long periods and some scratch protection for the back. At $10.95 the price is right. When it eventually becomes scarred and scuffed beyond my level of comfort I can simply replace it with another. The is a very small concern when you consider the cost of the device. Beyond satisfying my anal desire to keep my electronics pristine, it will also allow me to get the maximum resale value later down the road.

As a bonus it is cutout to allow the Apple Smart Cover to attach and fold back as usual.


As always, if you want to pick one up for yourself, please use the link below and help support future reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment